[AUCTeX] TeX error parsing: request for testing

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: [AUCTeX] TeX error parsing: request for testing
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 21:15:43 +0200

Hi all,

lately I've switched to using LuaTeX and a TeX Live install in
/usr/local with tl-install instead of my distro's TeX Live packages.
That had the side-effect that AUCTeX's error parsing frequently didn't
work anymore and I got those nasty

  Error occurred after last TeX file closed

errors.

The problem is that the TeX compile output gets hard-wrapped at column
80, and with the new TL install and LuaTeX, I get tons of files in the
compile output whose paths are all about 80 columns wide.

Here's an output snippet illustrating some of the problems:

(/usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/tex/luatex/luaotfload/luaotfload.lua)
(/usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/tex/luatex/luaotfload/luaotfload-fontloader.
lua)(using write cache: /home/horn/.texlive2013/texmf-var/luatex-cache/generic)(
using read cache: /usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-var/luatex-cache/generic /home/h
orn/.texlive2013/texmf-var/luatex-cache/generic)
(/usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/tex/luatex/luaotfload/luaotfload-override.lu
a)

One problem is that sometimes the ( starting a file is immediately
followed by a newline, and only after that the file name starts.  The
current new-file regexp in `TeX-parse-error' doesn't match that
(although it could be easily fixed).  Another problem is that the
new-file regexp matches at most one file per line but for example in
line 3 above, there are two files opened.

The latter is not so easy to fix.  Honestly, I have no clue about what
all those different shy groups and alternatives are supposed to match,
and its not documented.

So I've just thrown away that monstrosity of a regexp and replaced it
with a much much simpler one.  That also allowed to simplify the
end-of-file regexp.  I'm sure the new one delivers more false positives
but that's not really important.  Important is mainly that new-files and
end-of-files are balanced, and that seems to work just fine.

I've pushed the simplified version to a new branch named
`simplify-TeX-parse-error'.  You could do me a favor and test that
branch to check if AUCTeX is able to jump to the correct error location
with your documents and your errors.

If you find a problem, i.e., `TeX-next-error' jumps to the wrong file,
it tells you the erroneous file doesn't exist, or it tells you the error
occured after the last file closed, please poste the compile log (C-c
C-l) here in this thread.

Otherwise, it'd be nice if you could drop a quick works-for-me message
here, too.

Thanks,
Tassilo