Re: [AUCTeX] how to use the git repository to obtain the latest aucTeX?

From: TeXnicien de Surface
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] how to use the git repository to obtain the latest aucTeX?
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 12:36:30 +0200

Le 30/08/2013 10:30, Tassilo Horn a écrit :
> TeXnicien de Surface <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'd like to know (one of) the best way(s) to grab aucTeX on the git
>> repository and install it somewhere on my machine.

Thank you for the answer.
I add some steps which were necessary with the git source I obtained

> Clone the git repository:
>
>   $ cd ~/code # Whatever directory you wand
>   $ git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/auctex.git
>
> Now you have the directory ~/code/auctex/ that includes the auctex
> source code.  Now build auctex:
>
>   $ cd ~/code/auctex

    $ ./autogen.sh

more about the previous line in README.GIT

>   $ ./configure
>   $ make
>
> Now you have two choices: (1) install it system-wide using "sudo make
> install", or (2) run it straight from the cloned directory.  In the
> latter case, you might want to generate an info index using:
>
>   $ cd ~/code/auctex/docs
>   $ for x in *.info; do install-info --dir-file=dir $x;done
>
> Now you have to configure emacs by putting this into your ~/.emacs:

> ;; The next 4 lines only if you run auctex from the cloned
> ;; directory, i.e., you didn't "make install"
> (setq TeX-data-directory "~/code/auctex/")
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/code/auctex/")
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/code/auctex/preview/")
> (add-to-list 'Info-directory-list "~/code/auctex/doc")

beware of the last line above if no Info-directory-list is defined for
your emacs (as is the case for me). By the way $INFOPATH seems not to be
recognized.

> (load "auctex.el" nil t t)
> (load "preview-latex.el" nil t t)
>
> ;; Make AUCTeX aware of style files and multi-file documents
> (setq TeX-parse-self t)
> (setq TeX-auto-save t)
>
> Now you are done.  From time to time, you might want to update the clone
> using:
>
>   $ cd ~/code/auctex
>   $ git pull
>   $ make
>
> If you used option (1) above, remember to do a "make install"
> afterwards, too.
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

Once again, many thanks