Re: [AUCTeX] dvipng is not called by auctex

From: Faheem Mitha
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] dvipng is not called by auctex
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 02:11:50 +0530 (IST)

On Wed, 3 Jul 2013, David Kastrup wrote:

You are obviously in TeX-PDF-mode.  There is no DVI file being
generated, so there is nothing that dvipng could be run on.
Try C-c C-t C-p to switch off TeX-PDF-mode (if your file actually
permits being compiled by normal TeX), then try previewing again.

Yes, you are right. I'm sorry that I missed the obvious. I often end up usuing PDF mode for various reasons.

Looking at the compilation output, I see that the creation of the preview png snippets seems to be done by ghostscript. It looks like a pdf file is first created by TeX and then pdf2dsc is used to create a dsc file from that pdf. I'm not clear what gs uses to create the final png.

In any case, in terms of speed, is this the best possible option?

                                           Regards, Faheem Mitha