Re: [AUCTeX] emacs24 from debian unstable

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] emacs24 from debian unstable
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 10:59:58 +0200

> [Please keep me in Cc if you have further questions; I don't read the
> auctex ML]
>
>> Michael, what's the proper way to check if DBUS support is available?
>> Currently, in AUCTeX I'm using
>>
>>   (and (not (featurep 'xemacs)) ; XEmacs 21.4 has no `require' with
>>                                 ; arity 3, and no dbus support anyway.
>>        (require 'dbus nil :no-error)
>>        (functionp 'dbus-register-signal)
>>        (getenv "DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS"))
>
> Whether Emacs has been compiled with D-Bus support, could be checked by
> (featurep 'dbusbind). So you could write
>
>   (and (featurep 'dbusbind)
>        (require 'dbus nil :no-error)
>        (dbus-ignore-errors (dbus-get-unique-name :session)))
>
> `dbus-get-unique-name' is to be preferred over the check of
> $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS, because there might be other mechanism
> accessing the D-Bus session bus.
>
> The code above shall be backward compatible to Emacs 23 (untested).

Great, I've changed that in AUCTeX right now.  Andreas, if you want, you
can try the git version of AUCTeX.  Or you try getting an emacs version
that's compiled with DBUS support.

>> Or maybe it would be better to have a function `dbus-available-p' in
>> dbus.el that does whatever checks are needed to determine if DBUS is
>> really usable?
>
> That's `dbus-get-unique-name'. If you are interested in a given D-Bus
> service, you could apply `dbus-ping' instead, like
>
>        (dbus-ping :session "org.gnome.evince.Daemon" 500)

Hm, I think the signature of the important FindDocument method changed
several times, so I'll keep the `dbus-introspect-get-method' check.  Do
I need to `dbus-ping' beforehand in order to autoload the service if
it's not already running?

Bye,
Tassilo