Re: [AUCTeX] AucTex and custom fmt files

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] AucTex and custom fmt files
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 15:59:39 +0200

Julien Cubizolles <address@hidden> writes:

> I have some tex files using custom format files. Here is the general
> structure:
>
> %&../../../vuistand-fmt
> \documentclass{standalone}
> \begin{document}
> \begin{tikzpicture}
>   some tikz code
> \end{tikzpicture}
> \end{document}
>
> % Local Variables:
> % coding: utf-8
> % End:
>
> I can compile it with pdflatex but C-c C-c LaTeX complains that the
> tikzpicture environment is not defined: the vuistand-fmt custom format
> file is not read.

The very first line of the AUCTeX output buffer from the LaTeX command
(C-c C-l) shows what actual command is used to compile your document.
If that command works in a shell but not from within auctex, I'm out of
ideas.

Quite unlikely, but maybe you configured AUCTeX's LaTeX command to
include the option -no-parse-first-line?  The parse_first_line option
has to be set to t in order to let pdflatex parse those %& magic lines.

> I didn't find anything related to format files in the AucTeX
> documentation.  How do I tell it to read a given fmt fileĀ ?

AUCTeX just calls pdflatex for you if `TeX-PDF-mode' is on, so it
shouldn't have to be configured in a special way.

Bye,
Tassilo