Re: [AUCTeX] Text corruption

From: Axel E. Retif
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Text corruption
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 23:52:28 -0600

On 12/15/2012 05:39 PM, Axel E. Retif wrote:

Dear list,

I posted this in comp.emacs:

http://goo.gl/jvtvZ

Please be so kind to read it.

I should have checked my notes to be more precise. Instead of

Emacs [snapshot] was inserting \$ in the middle of an environment

what happened is that when I inserted a `\' in the middle of a theorem environment (corollary), it changed \end{corollary} to \end^?corollary}; undoing the \ (I use C-/ to undo) reverted the ^? to {. But then I deleted (backspace) `?' `^' and `d', retyped `d' and `{' and the bug didn't repeat ---that is, I could type the `\' without problem.

Also, I said in this thread that I hadn't seen text corruption in org buffers, but in my notes I see that I had an `$' where there was a space.

And this made me recall that in the first few weeks after installing Ubuntu 12.04, I had a recurring and very annoying bug of `$'s getting inserted instead of spaces in /var/lib/dpkg/available and /var/lib/dpkg/status, which caused updates and installations to halt with errors, and I had to ` sudo gedit ' those files to retry the updates or installations. Most of the times the offending `$'s *recurred in the same places*.

Fortunately, I found in the web the solution: sudo dpkg --clear-avail. After that, I haven't had any more that problem. Before Ubuntu 12.04, I hadn't had that problem at all.

Best

Axel