Re: [AUCTeX] Text corruption

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Text corruption
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 21:44:50 +0100

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

> "Axel E. Retif" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi Axel,
>
>> After my post to comp.emacs, another text corruption happened to me
>> ---I was working in an enumerate environment; then I C-x C-s and C-c
>> C-c and an error appeared. First I thought I had made an error in the
>> environment, but C-c revealed a \centering command, about a screen up,
>> had changed to \centermng.
>
> That's a really strange problem.  It doesn't sound like an Emacs or
> AUCTeX problem but more like a colleague playing a trick on you.

More like the computer playing a trick on him.  i (0x69) and m (0x6d)
differ by a single bit, bit 2.  Time to run some memory checker.

The most reliable memory check I know is compiling the Linux kernel.  I
had computers running a standard memory checker for a whole night, but
not surviving an hour of kernel compilation (gcc bombs out with
segmentation fault astonishingly reliably with flaky memory).  Of
course, keeping today's computers busy for hours is no longer feasible
with a single kernel compile, but you might put it in a loop.

--
David Kastrup