Re: [AUCTeX] Local Variable ignored - almost got it

From: NOGUET Dominique
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Local Variable ignored - almost got it
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 14:31:16 +0000

Hi,

Interesting...

Well having visual-line-mode alone, it says 'visual-line-mode void-function...
so I guess I just do not have it :-(
This sounds a bit stupid, but I was not suspecting this could cause the local
variable issue. Besides, I do not see this message when I switch on all the
hooks... well actually I guess it's there, but just passing too fast... well,
when I check the 'recent messages' buffer it is there indeed. I'll do this
first in the future... promised.

Also, when visual-line-mode is the only hook, the buffer remains in Fundamental
mode, which would have been a hint that something went wrong when opening the
.tex
File. Except that when I use this hook in combination with (add-hook
'LaTeX-mode-hook 'LaTeX-math-mode), the LaTeX/M mode is applied and it looks
like the file was loaded properly.

I wanted to install visual-line-mode, but could not find it for xemacs. Maybe I
could use the one for emacs, but I would like to avoid other side effects which
are always hard to track. Bottom line is, I'll probably live without it.

(If I may, I would suggest the Auctex manual to be a bit more cautious by
warning users that suggested hooks are not all available in all
distributions... I know, I should run it with emacs, not xemacs, but I'm sure
I'm not the only one doing this.)

Thanks a lot again.

Dominique
Most of the time, problems look stupid... once you found the solution ;-)