Re: [AUCTeX] TeX-next-error broken for error messages without line numbe

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] TeX-next-error broken for error messages without line number
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 08:38:15 +0100

On Tue, Mar 20 2012, Nikolaus Rath wrote:

> Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:
>> I'm quite sure that (upstream) AUCTeX does not create a buffer named
>> "Debian".
>
> I'll take that as justification to remove the upstream tag and ping
> Debian again. Thanks!

I now found that this Debian bug came from Ubuntu 10.4
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/auctex/+bug/790212>
and I could reproduce it there.

With the current AUCTeX trunk, I don't get this behavior.  Instead I
get:

,----
| Type `C-c C-l' to display results of compilation.
| LaTeX errors in `*/tmp/test output*'. Use C-c ` to display.
| TeX-error: Error occured after last TeX file closed
`----

In the ChangeLog, I can only find this (maybe) relevant change:

,----[ ChangeLog ]

`----

,----[ doc/faq.texi ]
| @item
| Why does @code{TeX-next-error} (@kbd{C-c `}) fail?
|
| When writing the log file, @TeX{} puts information related to a file,
| including error messages, between a pair of parentheses.  @AUCTeX{}
| determines the file where the error happened by parsing the log file and
| counting the parentheses.  This can fail when there are other,
| unbalanced parentheses present.
|
| As a workaround you can activate so-called file:line:error messages: for
| the log file.  (Those are are easier to parse, but may lack some
| details.)  Either you do this in the configuration of your @TeX{} system
| (consult its manual to see where this is) or you add a command line
| switch to the (la)tex call, e.g. by customizing
| @code{LaTeX-command-style} or @code{TeX-command-list}.
`----

But AFAICS, -file-line-error-style doesn't help in this case.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)