[AUCTeX] AUCTeX cannot find pdflatex (Windows)

From: Michael Bach
Subject: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX cannot find pdflatex (Windows)
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:19:08 +0100

Hello,

I am running AUCTeX 11.86 on emacs 24.0.92.1 obtained from [1].  I
installed AUCTeX via `package.el' from elpa.  I did no customization of
`TeX-command-list' or relatives.  My OS is Windows 7 because this is a
box at work.  I already installed MiKTeX 2.9 for Windows.  When doing a
C-c C-c LaTeX on the file (with TeX-PDF-mode t) the error is:

Running `LaTeX' on `monitoring' with ``pdflatex  -interaction=nonstopmode "\input" "monitoring.tex"''
'pdflatex' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

When I issue the exact same command from the command line, i.e. from
cmd.exe, all works well and also a `where pdflatex' shows me "C:\Program
Files\MiKTeX 2.9\miktex\bin\pdflatex.exe".

Now I presume that I need to set the TeX-command to `pdflatex.exe'.  Can
you give me a pointer on where to start looking for a suitable variable?
I read some of the docs, but my attempts so far have all failed.

Best Regards,
Michael Bach

Footnotes:
[1]  http://code.google.com/p/emacs-for-windows/