Re: [AUCTeX] TeXLive2011 Biber environment problem

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] TeXLive2011 Biber environment problem
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 10:23:38 -0400

Guilhem, you corrected me on a major point. I had assumed that
biblatex was deprecated by biber and so its manual would be
irrelevant. I see that this is not so.

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 10:02:56PM +0200, Guilhem Bourrié wrote:

> In your .tex file, you must have a command such as:

> \addbibresource{/Users/haines/<pathname of your .bib file>/<mybiblio>.bib}

I didn't understand the syntax here (in Debian, the root directory is
/home, not /Users). My .bib resource in in ~/jabref/ and so I tried:

  \addbibresource{/home/haines/jabref/historiography.bib}
  \addbibresource{/home/haines/jabref/socsci.bib}

However, this jabref/ location is already in my enviornment:

  $ echo $BIBINPUTS
  /home/haines/jabref:

So can the \addbibresource command instead simply be:

  \addbibresource{historiography.bib}
  \addbibresource{socsci.bib}

But my environment problem seems to be much deeper than this. With a
test.tex file that accords (I believe) with the biblatex manual, when
I run the latex command on it I get:

  ERROR: LaTeX Error: File `biblatex.sty' not found.
    --- TeX said ---
  Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed,
  or enter new name. (Default extension: sty)

  Enter file name:
  ! Emergency stop.
  <read *>

  l.11 \addbibresource
                    {/home/haines/jabref/historiography.bib}^^M
  --- HELP ---
  From the .log file...

  *** (cannot \read from terminal in nonstop modes)

I'm not sure what all this means, but it seems that biblatex needs to
find a biblatex.sty file and failed to do so.

A possible cause of this error is that biblatex is not installed, but
it is installed and I do have the file:

  $ locate biblatex.sty
  /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/tex/latex/biblatex/biblatex.sty

However my environment is:

  $ echo $TEXINPUTS
  /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf:

Should I instead have defined the environment to be
/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist?

Haines