[AUCTeX] Re: Indenting a region is problematic in LaTeX mode

From: Rodolfo Medina
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: Indenting a region is problematic in LaTeX mode
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 19:07:51 +0100

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * Rodolfo Medina (2009-08-25) writes:
>
>> Normally, in Emacs, in text mode, to indent a region, say, by 8 columns,
>> after marking the region I do: `C-u 8 C-x TAB' to indent every single line,
>> then `M-q' to fill the paragraph with the new indentation.
>>
>> In LaTeX, mode, `M-q' does not do the job.
>> Is there any setting to make that possible,
>
> No.
>
>> or do I have to switch every time
>> to text mode to do the job and then to LaTeX mode again?
>
> You could define a function which does this.

Can anyone suggest the code for such a function?  I'm no lisp expert, but that
seems to be important.  E.g., suppose you are writing a (La)TeX document with
\item issues: then you might want to indent paragraphs like this:

\item{1)} The old lady pulled her spectacles down and looked over them about
          the room; then she put them up and looked out under them. She seldom
          or never looked through them for so small a thing as a boy; they were
          her state pair, the pride of her heart, and were built for "style,"
          not service -- she could have seen through a pair of stove-lids just
          as well. She looked perplexed for a moment, and then said, not
          fiercely, but still loud enough for the furniture to hear:

.  I just did that in one second because I'm not in LaTeX mode; otherwise I'd
had to do it by hand, which is most inconvenient.  So, I think it's very
important.

Thanks for any help
Rodolfo