Re: [AUCTeX] The View command under TeXlive.

From: Sven Bretfeld
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] The View command under TeXlive.
Date: 12 Jan 2009 20:14:24 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> If I do the same thing (latex and then view) on one of my own file I get:
>
> dvips quick.dvi -o && gv quick.ps

I guess that you have a \usepackage command in the preamble of your file
that demands a pdf or postscript output. Maybe beamer or pgf or
something like that. Emacs recognizes this when it parses the file
during the find-file process. To find out if this is the case, you can
comment (delete) all \usepackage commands and then open (find) the file
again. Probably the problem is gone then. (You should of course reduce
the actual text to a minimum, in order to get an uninterrupted LaTeX
run, because of the missing packages). If it works properly you can
systematically add the packages again one by one, to see which one
causes the problem. You have to kill the buffer and find the file again
each time.

If the problem is what I think, you can either switch to pdf-mode
manually (C-c C-t C-p) and hope that the installed Windows pdf-viewer
(prob. Acrobat) is already known to Emacs as the standard pdf-viewer.
You can also let Emacs automatically turn on pdf-mode when finding the
file by inserting

%%% TeX-PDF-mode: t

to the 'local variables' section of the file.

The other way is just to let Emacs do the dvips run and to open its
output with gv (ghostview). Ghostview has to be installed of course. If
it's not, you can ask your admin to do it.

There is yet another way. You can insert the following line to the
'local variables' of your file:

%%% TeX-output-view-style: (("^dvi$" "." "xdvi %dS %d"))

Oh, I guess under Windows our dvi-viewer is not xdvi. Then you have to
change the command accordingly. The problem with this approach is that
the features that have caused your initial problem -- namely the demand
of a pdf/ps output -- will, then, cause problems when you view your dvi
file. Some pages will not be displayed.

Hope that helps.

Greetings

Sven