Re: [AUCTeX] Preview: baselines and dvi specials

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Preview: baselines and dvi specials
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 17:32:04 +0200

"Andrew Hoefel" <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm trying to use the preview package for taking latex equations and
> converting them to svg through dvi. There are a lot of drivers that
> produce svg files, but I can't find one that produces baseline
> information. Dvipng, on the other hand, does give baseline
> information.
>
> My understanding is that the tightpage option spits out dvi specials
> and this is how dvipng computes its baseline. Is this right?

Pretty much.

> I'm looking at specials like the following:
>
> ps::-32891 -32891 32891 32891 521949 0 945438
>
> Can anyone tell me how to interpret these numbers?

They are measured in scaled points (1pt/65536).  Basically, they are the
same numbers that are reported on the console if you pass the "lyx"
option to preview.

> Also, it is best for dvi drivers to read these specials, or could an
> option to preview be made to report baselines?

A DVI driver might want to rely on the specials.  The reporting option
is already there for the sake of LyX if you prefer that.