Re: [AUCTeX] Fold citep

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Fold citep
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 17:57:59 +0200

* Joost Kremers (2008-05-31) writes:

> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 10:35:06PM +0200, Ralf Angeli wrote:
>> I've now checked in the possibility to specify macro arguments to be
>> used as a replacement in the display string with a "{<num>}" syntax.
>> This works only for mandatory arguments.  I've started to implement the
>> same for optional arguments with "[<num>]" but this would probably
>> require the possibility to supply an alternative string if the optional
>> argument is not found.  I'm not sure yet how to do that, perhaps with
>> something like "[<num>:<alt_string>]", if it is really necessary.
>
> what happens if the optional argument isn't there, and the user hasn't
> supplied an optional argument? would you use some default string or leave
> it empty?

Unless I am misunderstanding you, that's what the <alt_string> is for.
That means, if the optional argument is not found, the [...] placeholder
would be replaced by the alternative string as described above.

I'm not sure if this is flexible enough.  The scheme does not cater for
the situation where one wants to use a completely different string if
the optional argument is not found.  For example for "\item[foo]" you
might wanna display "foo:" but for "\item" just "*".