Re: [AUCTeX] [AUCTeX| redefining style commands

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] [AUCTeX| redefining style commands
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 20:01:18 +0200

* Jobst Hoffmann (2007-09-18) writes:

> I want to write a .el-file to support editing LaTeX files which use
> powerdot.cls.
>
> How can I accomplish to redefine predefined environments?
>
> For example in powerdot.cls there is the environment itemize with an
> optional argument. Is it possible to redefine the common behaviour of
> inserting environments to support such an optional argument?

I recently added support for a way to specify an optional argument with
`LaTeX-add-environments'.  Here is an example from style/flashcards.el:

  (LaTeX-add-environments '("flashcard" ["Header"] "Front side"))

This prompts for "Header" as an optional argument which will be inserted
with square brackets.  If you specify an itemize environment like this,
it should overwrite the original definition, but I haven't tried this.
The problem here is that this will not insert a first \item.  If you
want something like this you'd need to code it yourself.  There is an
example in style/beamer.el how to do that.

> The same holds for \item, which has an additional optional argument of
> the form "<...>" in powerdot.cls.

See style/beamer.el as well.