Re: [AUCTeX] Installing without root permission

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Installing without root permission
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 13:57:17 +0200

David Scott <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> David Scott <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I would like to install AUCTeX myself on a Unix machine where I don't
>>> have root permission. I downloaded that latest version of AUCTeX, ran
>>> .configure and make but make install failed. I couldn't see how to
>>> have it install in a directory where I have write permission.
>>>
>>> I would welcome advice on this.
>>
>> You already have it.  It is in the file INSTALL under
>>
>> 6 Installation for non-privileged users
>> ***************************************
>>

>> It is also accessible from the manual as
>>
>> (info "(auctex) Advice for non-privileged users")
>>

> OK. I should have read more of the INSTALL manual.

That still applies.

> Here is what I tried
>
> Unzip and untar the .tar.gz file in ~/.xemacs/xemacs-packages

That still applies.  If you want to compile for XEmacs, you need to
specify --with-emacs on the configure line. and so on.

> cd to ~/.xemacs/xemacs-packages/auctex-11/84
> ./configure --prefix=/home/staff/dscott
> make
> make install
>
> Configure and make say the build is good. But make install fails with
> /usr/bin/install trying to create tex-site.el in
> /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp for which I have no write permission.

It might be possible to walk you all the way through a manual
installation, pointing out the instructions piece by piece that you
missed on the first go.  But I think it would be a waste of both your
and our time.

Please just download the precompiled XEmacs package from AUCTeX's
download page and use either the package manager to install it, or
just unpack it into your personal package directory.

That should be all that is required.

--
David Kastrup