[AUCTeX] debugging of multifile documents with TeX-next-error

From: Stefan Vollmar
Subject: [AUCTeX] debugging of multifile documents with TeX-next-error
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 22:23:55 +0200

Dear list members,

I have just started using Aquamax 1.0b (Mac Emacs) with the MacTeX-2007 (Feb) package and discovered the beauty, elegance and power (and I am sure I have only just scratched the surface) of the integrated AucTeX mode.

I have a question regarding the debugging of multifile documents. My masterfile "something.tex" looks like this:

\input{something_style}
\begin{document}
\include{something_title}
\include{something_toc}
\include{something_intro}
\include{something_bib}
\end{document}

and all the inluded LaTeX-files end with:

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex
%%% TeX-master: "something"
%%% End:

Here is my (potentially embarassing question - please bear with me):

when I "compile" the LaTeX document (from any of the included files; as described in the manual, this works as if I compiled the master document), a pdf file is created - more or less what I had in mind. However, I am looking for an efficient means to step through my files from LaTeX error/warning to the next using TeX-next-error (or something similar). When using this with my setup, I am indeed presented with a succession of error messages (very convenient), however, the cursor remains in my master file (see above). Ideally, I would like Emacs to display the corresponding latex source file with the cursor positioned next to the offending latex command/text.

How can I achieve this? Should I change the structure of my master file?

Many thanks in advance,
 Stefan
--
Dr. Stefan Vollmar, Dipl.-Phys.
Max-Planck-Institut für neurologische Forschung