[AUCTeX] Re: Making reftex distinguish frontmatter and mainmatter

From: Rasmus Villemoes
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: Making reftex distinguish frontmatter and mainmatter
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 23:50:57 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

>> Then, perhaps, one could control the behaviour for a particular
>> document using local variables ("reftex-frontmatter-numbering" =
>> nil, "reftex-mainmatter-numbering" = "arabic",
>> "reftex-appendix-numbering" = "Roman",
>> "reftex-backmatter-numbering" = nil or something...).
>
> That does not sound very userfriendly.

I didn't mean that the user would have to supply all this; I mean't
that these should/could be the default values, if the functionality
I'm asking for were to be added to reftex.

> And I don't think `C-c =' was ever meant to be so sophisticated.

Well, it's already pretty sophisticated, and I don't think this counts
as an argument against improving it.

> One could perhaps add an option to omit the numbering completely if you
> find it confusing.

That would be a little less confusing, but I would really like the
numbers shown in the toc buffer to correspond to the numbers in the
compiled document; when implementing the corrections resulting from
proofreading a printed copy that would make it a lot easier to
navigate.

Well, in any case I see from the replies that I didn't overlook
something in the manual. The developers may consider this as a feature
request; but if its too hard to implement, if it would make parsing the
document a lot slower, or if I'm the only person in the world who
thinks this would be an improvement, I can live with the current
behaviour.

--
Rasmus Villemoes
<http://home.imf.au.dk/burner/>