Re [AUCTeX] TeX-auto-save and files with the same basename

From: Vladimir
Subject: Re [AUCTeX] TeX-auto-save and files with the same basename
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 18:23:57 +0900

Ralf Angeli wrote:
RA> * Vladimir (2007-05-10) writes:
RA>
VL>> I edit a file which has a supplementary file with the same basenames
VL>> (for example, revtex4 uses <basename>.rty as supplementary file for
VL>> every <basename>.tex file) so AUCTeX generates (I set TeX-auto-save to
VL>> 't') 'el' files for such files and they override each other, of course.
RA>
RA> If I open a file with a .rty extension, AUCTeX is not invoked.

Oops. I didn't say that I set a file variable for rty file (okey I'll continue to speak about files in question using as an example a rty file).

Yes if I simple open (visiting) a rty file it won't be interpreted as a TeX related file and AUCTeX will not be associated with this file (I don't really know how to correctly describe what AUCTeX to do in the case so I use a word 'associated'). But I need this file being maintained by AUCTeX, so I use file variables (in rty file):

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex
%%% TeX-master: "thesis.tex"
%%% End:

Of course, the rty file is named as 'thesis.rty' and I set 'TeX-parse-self' and 'TeX-auto-save' variables in init file.

I define several macroses and environments in rty file (I find that using such supplementary file is convenient in sense that the main file is only for document content plus LaTeX markup) and I faced with the problem that I described in previous post.

(I know that I can put frequently used macroses and environment into my private package but I think that a lot of people use they own shortcuts for commands that never be placed into any private package. It is easily to copy and paste them from one document into another. I borrowed an idea of rty file from revtex4 package to place my, developing from time to time, macroses and environments into rty alike file which I simple copy and rename to fit current document purposes.)

In any case, thanks for reply.

P.S. Sorry, if my English is poor.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov.