Re: [AUCTeX] Calling dvips from AUCTeX

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Calling dvips from AUCTeX
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 22:06:04 +0100

* Ross Hetherington (2007-02-22) writes:

> I am using GNU Emacs 21.4 with AUCTeX 11.84. Is it possible to add a
> command to run dvips and a ps viewer from AUCTeX? I think it should be
> possible by customising TeX-command-list, but I'm not entirely sure
> exactly how. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Upon typing `C-c C-c View RET' AUCTeX runs dvips automatically and
opens the resulting PostScript file with a PostScript viewer (gv per
default) if a DVI file is present and AUCTeX can derive the necessity
for running dvips from the document, e.g. because psfrag or pstricks
packages are loaded.  See `C-h i d m auctex RET m Viewing RET'.  You
have to have parsing enabled as suggested on the first page of the
AUCTeX manual for this to work, though.

If automatic detection fails in your case it would be nice if you
could help us find out why.

Another way besides the one described above would be to explicitely
generate the PostScript file with `C-c C-c File RET'.  But then you
will have to customize `TeX-output-view-style' to recognize the
presence of a .ps file and launch your preferred viewer.  I haven't
actually tested if this works, though.