Re: [AUCTeX] Re: tex-ref.tex

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Re: tex-ref.tex
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 17:43:38 +0100

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2007-01-20) writes:
>
>> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Sure.  In my installation it's /usr/local/share/emacs/22.0.92/etc/.
>>> But that's Emacs' own directory, not one for local additions.
>>> Package systems won't be too happy if we put something in there.
>>
>> How about /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/etc with a .nosearch
>> in it?
>
> It's messy because `site-lisp' does not really suggest that
> documentation files can be found below it and therefore I'm afraid
> that people won't find the file there.  Nevertheless it's probably
> one of the sanest alternatives.

Well, where would they look apart from the AUCTeX directory?

> My other favorite would be $PREFIX/share/doc/auctex/.  We already
> install into $PREFIX/share/info/, so why not into `doc' as well?

More common would be $PREFIX/share/doc/auctex-$TAG/, and the problem
is that installing the next version would not overwrite the last one
then...

>> We could also move the style directory down there, making the
>> layout match that of the XEmacs package somewhat more closely, and
>> requiring only a single .nosearch to be placed and obeyed.
>
> `etc' looks a little bit like "stuff we don't know where to but
> else".

Well, fits the "style" directory to a "t", doesn't it?

> As style files are quite intrinsic to AUCTeX, I don't mind that they
> have a prominent location outside of `etc'.

But they are also stuff that is _internal_ to AUCTeX and should never
get loaded except by AUCTeX itself.  So site-lisp is not really more
natural for those...

--
David Kastrup