[AUCTeX] TeX-electric-escape Update ?

From: Adam Johnson
Subject: [AUCTeX] TeX-electric-escape Update ?
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 15:30:08 -0500

Hi,

I like the TeX-electric-escape command, and set it in my .emacs as:
(setq TeX-electric-escape t)

In general, when I press "\", it will prompt a command I previously used/typed as a default option. If I press "Enter", the previously used command will be inserted directly. This is great. If I press the "\" just before a space, then it will prompt " " instead of the previously used command. I like this characteristics too.

Can we extend this characteristic to other LaTeX "special" characters: "$, %, _, }, &, #, {"? Sometime, we simply copy a piece of text from other non-LaTeX sources, these special characters will cause compilation errors. A quick method to fix the problem is to insert a "\" before each of them. We may also just forget to type the "\" before them until the compilation errors show.

My suggestion is: if the mouse cursor is just put before one of the special characters (same as before a space), instead of prompting for the previously used command, AUCTeX just prompts for an "empty" command. So if we press "Enter" directly, a "\" will be inserted before these special characters instead of the previously used command. (This issue bothers me many times.)

Thanks.

--
Adam

Try the next generation of search with Windows Live Search today! http://imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/searchlaunch/?locale=en-us&source=hmtagline