[AUCTeX] Wish: Editing multi file documents more conveniently

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: [AUCTeX] Wish: Editing multi file documents more conveniently
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 15:27:48 +0200

Hello,

I usually organize larger LaTeX documents with one file per chapter and
one master file where I \include the chapters.

What I'm missing is a comfortable way to edit the document as one
without having to open the files manually.

What I think of:

  * On a \input{foo} or \include{foo} I press some key and the
    corresponding file foo gets visited.

  * In the foo-buffer I automatically jump back to the master file when
    point tries to move beyond (point-min) or (point-max).

Instead of visiting foo, its contents could be displayed directly
(replacing the \include{foo}) as if it was part of the including
file. To distinguish the including file's content from the included
one's another face (background) could be used (like it's done when
folding environments). When point moves out of the included file's
region it collapsed back to \include{foo}.

In my opinion the second approch (with the folding Look & Feel) would be
extremely nifty, but may be hard to implement.

What do you mean?

Bye,
Tassilo
--
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.