[AUCTeX] Re: Inverse search with Emacs/AUCTeX

From: Alan Ristow
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: Inverse search with Emacs/AUCTeX
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 13:16:16 -0400

David Kastrup wrote:
Alan Ristow <address@hidden> writes:

The two of us who are discussing this are both using the new MiKTeX
2.5 and I have no idea whether this was a problem under MiKTeX
2.4. The other user having this problem reported it as a MiKTeX bug,
but was told by MiKTeX developer Christian Schenk that embedding
source specials as written in the \input command (i.e., without the
.tex extension unless explicitly written) is in keeping with the LaTeX
specification and that this is therefore not a bug in MiKTeX.

This is wrong.  LaTeX itself does not specify anything like source
specials.

Mea culpa. I misread him on the bit about the LaTeX specification. What he actually said is:

"File names are embedded as specified, i.e., if you omit the file name extension, then it wont be added automatically. I don't think that this is a bug."

Granted, that doesn't change anything, but I don't want to be seen as putting words in Christian's mouth.

This is a unilateral change for the worse in MikTeX 2.5 and nowhere
else.

My TeX knowledge is not complete enough for me to have made that statement without backup, but I have since verified that MiKTeX 2.4 and teTeX both embed the complete file name. Plus I have your response for backup now....

Feel free to forward my opinion to Christian Schenk.

Thank you. I have added my two cents to the existing bug report and tacked your response on to it as well. Hopefully he'll reopen the bug report and fix it. If not, I may be looking for a new distribution.

Alan