Re: [AUCTeX] Installation of Auctex 11.83

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Installation of Auctex 11.83
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 10:19:05 +0200

Christophe FARGES <address@hidden> writes:

>>>     ;;...
>>>     (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook
>>>               (function (lambda()
>>>                  ;; Add some commands to `TeX-command-list'
>>>               (LaTeX-add-environments
>>>                    '("theoreme")
>>>                    '("corollaire")
>>>                    '("definition")
>>>                    '("remarque")
>>>                    '("algo")
>>>                    '("demo")
>>>                    '("preuve")                    '("afaire")
>>>               '("areecrire"))
>>>                   (add-to-list
>>>                    'TeX-command-list
>>>                    '("PDFLaTeX" "pdflatex '\\nonstopmode\\input{%t}'"
>>>                  TeX-run-command nil nil))
>>>                   (add-to-list
>>>                    'TeX-command-list
>>>                    '("Acroread" "acroread %s.pdf"
>>>                  TeX-run-silent t nil))
>>>                   (add-to-list
>>>                    'TeX-command-list
>>>                    '("xpdf" "xpdf %s.pdf" TeX-run-silent t nil))
>>>                   (add-to-list
>>>                    'TeX-command-list
>>>

>>Again, all of the above stuff is very, very, wrong.  AUCTeX has its
>>own ways of dealing with PDF files.
>
> Now that preview works well, I come back on the above problem you
> mentionned.
> Should I remove the above lines concerning PDF? If so, how should I
> run xpdf and acroread.

The RELEASE file states:

IMPORTANT: Many of the new features in the 11.x series rely on special
properties in the variable `TeX-command-list' and will not work if you
customized this variable for a pre-11.5x release of AUCTeX.  If this
is the case for you, please re-initialize the variable by erasing the
customization, thereby setting the variable to the new default, and
re-adding your changes afterwards.

And the info manual states
(info "(auctex) Commands.")
 -- Command: TeX-PDF-mode
     (`C-c C-t C-p') This command toggles the PDF mode of AUCTeX, a
     buffer-local minor mode.  You can customize `TeX-PDF-mode' to give
     it a different default.  The default is used when AUCTeX does not
     have additional clue about what a document might want.  This
     option usually results in calling either PDFTeX or ordinary TeX.

More details probably in
(info "(auctex) Viewing.")

> Another thing, I'd like to generate PS and PDF files using special
> dvips and ps2pdf options like this:
> dvips -Ppdf -G0 -ta4 file
> ps2pdf -dCompatibilityLevel=1.3 -dMAxSubsetPct=100 -dSubsetFonts=true
> -dEmbedAllFonts=true -sPAPERSIZE=letter file.ps
> Is it possible to do it with auctex in Xemacs? How should I do this?

Probably by using the "File" and "Other" menus.  Or adding your own
stuff to TeX-command-list.

Anybody have a good idea what to do for pstpdf or similar stuff?

[...]

> Finally, I use Latex toolbar.
> When preview is turned on and if I click Open, the box disappears and
> in the echo area is displayed: Window height 0 too small (after
> splitting). I saw this is a bug with Auctex preview and Xemacs. Has it
> been solved? If not, is it possible that Xemacs asks for which file to
> open in the echo area? How can I do that?

> Do you know how I can add buttons to it? For example, I'd like to have:
> - a button to launch pslatex (or maybe use the existing gv button to
> launch the pslatex command when first hit and gv when button is hit a
> second time => the way that the DVI button works)

Probably reading toolbar-x.el might help a bit.

> - a button to launch pdflatex (same as above)

What for?  TeX-PDF-mode is going to cover that.

> - a button to launch dvips (with the previously mentionned options)

When using a dvips-requiring style, this should happen more or less
automatically.