Re: [AUCTeX] Installation of Auctex 11.83

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Installation of Auctex 11.83
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 16:45:56 +0200

Christophe FARGES <address@hidden> writes:

> I've got some problems making my new installation of auctex
> work... I'm really a basic user so I'll explain each step of
> installation I made.
> I'm currently using Cygwin with an old auctex version and I want to
> update it with the new one.
> 1) I downloaded: auctex-11.83.zip
> 2) I unziped
> 3) I run ./configure

The log file would be interesting.  There have likely been warning
messages.

> 4) make
> 5) make install
> 6) I've got no error message
> 7) I run Xemacs but it seems like if it is still my old auctex
> installation: for example, I've got no Preview menu
>
> Is there a way to check my auctex version? Why doess the preview menu
> not appear?

Probably because it depends on the AUCTeX installation?

> If it can help, here is my init.el file:
>
> (global-set-key '(button4) 'scroll-down-command)
> (global-set-key '(button5) 'scroll-up-command)
>
> (require 'completion)
>
> ;;(require 'tex-site)
>
>      (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.xemacs/latex-toolbar")
>      ;; Load AucTeX ...
>      (require 'tex-site)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is very, very wrong.  Please don't do that.  AUCTeX, as stated in
the documentation, activates itself.

>      ;;...
>      (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook
>                (function (lambda()
>                   ;; Add some commands to `TeX-command-list'
>                (LaTeX-add-environments
>                     '("theoreme")
>                     '("corollaire")
>                     '("definition")
>                     '("remarque")
>                     '("algo")
>                     '("demo")
>                     '("preuve")                    '("afaire")
>                '("areecrire"))
>                    (add-to-list
>                     'TeX-command-list
>                     '("PDFLaTeX" "pdflatex '\\nonstopmode\\input{%t}'"
>                   TeX-run-command nil nil))
>                    (add-to-list
>                     'TeX-command-list
>                     '("Acroread" "acroread %s.pdf"
>                   TeX-run-silent t nil))
>                    (add-to-list
>                     'TeX-command-list
>                     '("xpdf" "xpdf %s.pdf" TeX-run-silent t nil))
>                    (add-to-list
>                     'TeX-command-list

Again, all of the above stuff is very, very, wrong.  AUCTeX has its
own ways of dealing with PDF files.