Re: [AUCTeX] auctex 11.81 "make install" failure on winXP

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] auctex 11.81 "make install" failure on winXP
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 18:12:02 +0200

* Arnaud Legout (2005-10-20) writes:

> I edited the Makefile that is in the root of my unzip directory for
> AUCTex. This is from this directory that I run
> configure and make. However, this file does not contain any occurrence
> of tex-jp.el
> MULESRC and MULEELC are alrearedy empty.

Oh, I think now I know what's going on.  You are probably trying to
install the new version over the one already provided by XEmacs.  The
xemacs-packages directory you are trying to install the new one was
probably not empty before you started.  And it probably contained,
among other things, tex-jp.el.  And that's being picked up by the
installation routine now.

It is better to use the site-packages directory of your XEmacs
installation for installing packages not provided through the XEmacs
package system.  Configuring AUCTeX with that directory should cure
the problems.

> I don't understand one thing. It seems that MULE is for i18n of XEmacs.
> In this case, how is it possible to support the MULE version without
> being compatible (automatically)
> with the non-MULE version. Is there a specific API used by AUCTex in
> the MULE extension.

tex-jp.el contains Japanese characters which XEmacs chokes upon.