Re: [AUCTeX] Install report: Emacs and Windows 98

From: Harald von Aschen
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Install report: Emacs and Windows 98
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:28:07 +0200

At 11:48 23.07.05 +0200, Ralf Angeli wrote:
* Harald von Aschen (2005-07-22) writes:
> At 14:48 22.07.05 +0200, Ralf Angeli wrote:

Perhaps first my installation to have it complete here:

System Windows 98/second edition

Starting today, Thu Jul 28 19:04:22 MEZMS

First getting the versions

GNU Emacs 21.3.1 2004-03-10 from
http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tar.gz

AUCTeX Snapshot from
http://theotp1.physik.uni-ulm.de/~ste/comp/emacs/auctex/snapshots/ftp/auctex-current.zip

and putting them in a new directory.

MSYS-1.0.10.exe is already installed.

MSYS hangs after some operations, so change "4096" to "8192" in msys.bat line 25
start %COMSPEC% /e:4096 /c %0 GOTO: _Resume %0 %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
start %COMSPEC% /e:8192 /c %0 GOTO: _Resume %0 %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
then it works.

My $path in Windows relevant for this installation includes

/f/PROGRA~1/TEXLIVE/BIN/WIN32

(This is surely wrong as you have already mentioned below, please see my comment there)

Now

***********

GS="F:/Programme/gs/gs8.13/bin/gswin32c.exe" ./configure --prefix=g:/tst/emac
s-21.3 --with-texmf-dir=f:/Programme/TeXLive/texmf
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /bin/install -c
checking for date in ChangeLog... 2005-07-21
checking for release in ChangeLog... not found, using 2005-07-21 instead
checking for emacs... /f/PROGRAMME/CYGWIN/BIN/emacs
checking if /f/PROGRAMME/CYGWIN/BIN/emacs is XEmacs... no
checking for Emacs prefix... cat: ./conftest-1648743: No such file or directory
""
checking if Emacs is recent enough... yes
checking for mule support... yes
checking if build directory is valid... yes
checking where lisp files go... configure: error: Cannot locate lisp directory,
use  --with-lispdir, --datadir, or possibly --prefix to rectify this

***********

This is different from my last installation. There was the site-lisp directory found.

O.k. perhaps a problem with this snapshot, my other installation was auctex-20050716-a.

Let's do it again. Here the only"not found", rest seems o.k.: (Sorry, here [...] means cutting off messages)

***********

$ GS="F:/Programme/gs/gs8.13/bin/gswin32c.exe" ./configure --prefix=g:/tst/emac
s-21.3 --with-texmf-dir=f:/Programme/TeXLive/texmf --with-lispdir=g:/tst/emacs-
21.3/site-lisp
[...]
checking for Emacs prefix... cat: ./conftest-1650175: No such file or directory
[...]
Congratulations!  Configuration of preview is complete.

Congratulations!  Configuration of AUCTeX is complete.

Type "make" at the prompt to build.

***********

Now I'm trying "make":
Here are the error messages

***********
Autoloads file /cygdrive/g/tst/auctex-20050722-a/auto-loads.el does not exist
[...]
make[1]: Entering directory `/g/tst/auctex-20050722-a/preview'
(cd latex ; make all)
make[2]: Entering directory `/g/tst/auctex-20050722-a/preview/latex'
/f/PROGRA\\\~1/TEXLIVE/BIN/WIN32/tex '\nonstopmode \input bootstrap.ins'
make[2]: /f/PROGRA\~1/TEXLIVE/BIN/WIN32/tex: Command not found
make[2]: *** [preview-mk.ins] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/g/tst/auctex-20050722-a/preview/latex'
make[1]: *** [texmf] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/g/tst/auctex-20050722-a/preview'
make: *** [all] Error 2

***********

My first proposal was the wrong directory shortcut in $path. So let's do a

PATH = "[old path corrected with f:/PROGRAMME/TEXLIVE/BIN/WIN32]"
export PATH

and again a
GS="F:/Programme/gs/gs8.13/bin/gswin32c.exe" ./configure --prefix=g:/tst/emac
s-21.3 --with-texmf-dir=f:/Programme/TeXLive/texmf --with-lispdir=g:/tst/emacs-
21.3/site-lisp

and then
make

and then
make install

and all is going through in a perfect way.

[...]

> To deal with spaces is not very good so I have decided to do all
> installations in directories without spaces. And again using "~" was not
> working in the environmental variable GS.

Path names with spaces should work if you quote them correctly.  The
installation instructions include the following hints:

,----[ (info "(auctex)Installation under MS Windows") ]
|    The installation procedure tries finding stuff in system search paths
| and in Emacs paths.  For that to succeed, you have to use the same
| syntax and spelling and case of paths everywhere: in your system search
| paths, in Emacs' `load-path' variable, as argument to the scripts.  If
| your path names contain spaces or other `shell-unfriendly' characters,
| most notably backslashes for directory separators, place the whole path
| in `"double quote marks"' whenever you specify it on a command line.
|
|    Avoid `helpful' magic file names like `/cygdrive/c' and
| `C:\PROGRA~1\' like the plague.  It is quite unlikely that the scripts
| will be able to identify the actual file names involved.  Use the full
| paths, making use of normal Windows drive letters like ` 'C:/Program
| Files/Emacs' ' where required, and using the same combination of upper-
| and lowercase letters as in the actual files.  File names containing
| shell-special characters like spaces or backslashes (if you prefer that
| syntax) need to get properly quoted to the shell: the above example
| used single quotes for that.

As I suppose MINGW32 is working with upppercase o.k. I have exported path with uppercase letters which has worked for me. What I have found
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/make-w32/2005-03/msg00033.html

> Hm, what do you mean by "prefix" is not well defined and to abuse the Emacs > directory? Do you mean the difference between personal home directory under
> Unix et. al. and program path under Windows?

No.  On Unix-style operating systems programs mostly don't put their

[...]

Thank you very much for your explanation!

So if you want to install new Unix-style software, where do you put
it?  What is the prefix?

It is horrible because I have three hard disks installed here with a "grown up" installation hierarchie so it is somehow horrible.

A clean way would be to create your own hierarchy and make the
respective environments aware of executables, libraries, include
files, shared files, etc.  It has the advantage that the installed
programs don't interfere with files under the control of package
systems or some such of the environments, but it may be tedious for
many people carry out the tasks involved.  So they tend to put the
stuff in one of the hierarchies available.

Yes, thank you, you are totally right, I should fix it.

> Again as Michael I have to do the TeX calls by hand before my make goes
> through without an error. I suppose it is the "~" in the filename. Here a
> snip of my autoexec.bat inserted by TeXLive during installation
>    set PATH=F:\PROGRA~1\TEXLIVE\BIN\WIN32;%PATH%

What is the error message?

Please see above, as I have suggested the path of the TeXLive installation with "~" in it was not working.

> Another hint which might be important for Windows 98 user is the length of
> the path variable. As far as I can see is the space for an individual
> environmental variable under Windows XP is 8192 bytes as given here
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntcmds_shelloverview.mspx > but under Windows 98 it is not so easy so it has taken me a while to find this
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;230205
> to increase it if it is necessary (as e.g. here for me). Otherwise my path
> variable was cut off.

That's a joke, right?

Yes that's a joke and not very funny. Again with MSYS. My computer was crashing many times during installation, it was horrible. But today after I have changed the msys.bat as given above all is fine and working, no crashes! So this "environmental space" seems to be a little bit bad in Windows 98. Because other people with Windows XP, e.g. Uwe Siart and also Michael Forster, don't have this problems I suppose it is only with Windows 98.

Again I have some problems with Emacs and I suppose that they are the same: After doing some work menues are not working any more, no command is executed. The keyboard shortcuts are still working but nothing else. Close Emacs -> open Emacs -> same problem. Close Emacs -> restart Computer -> Open Emacs and all is fine. Yesterday I had the problem that AUCTeX was using the view command only with dvips && gsview and not with my dvi viewer. I don't know why, closing Emacs -> opening again, nothing has changed in my .emacs and no solution. Only after a System restart AUCTeX was again using windvi.

I'm very sorry to give you not a full overview for the first time but now I hope this helps here.

Best regards

Harald