Re: [AUCTeX] Auctex is nice,but sometimes slow down the input.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Auctex is nice,but sometimes slow down the input.
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 23:30:46 +0200

Jim Zhang <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> I am a rookie here.
> I am using Emacs for Mac OSX to edit some latex files. And when I click
> "syntax highlight" from the menu, Emacs
> gives me a really fancy kind of highlighting scheme.
>

> For example, if you input "x^y", the y will be put in a smaller font
> and put on the top of x, which is nice. But it slows down the text
> input speed.
> I have to wait a while for my words to show up!
>
> Another annoying thing. I don't know why. some time if I finish a $
> \begin{align}$ environment, I can not input "$" sign. It shows in the
> minibuffer: "math mode because of align, Use C_q $ to force a dollar
> sign"! Heck, what's wrong with it???

Sounds like you are messing with $ signs in a manner that makes AUCTeX
think most of your document is math.

$\begin{align}$, by the way, is completely nonsensical.  I very much
doubt you'll get anything like that processed by LaTeX.

I suggest that you use

M-x TeX-submit-bug-report RET

for reporting your problem and include an example file showing the
problems.

> I tried "M_x text-mode", it 's way faster. I just really don't need
> all those fancy gadgets. What i need is a very very simple syntax
> hightlighting scheme that runs functionally for editing tex file.
> Like what i have used before in Unix.

The amount of font locking can be configured unless I am mistaken (I
don't use font locking myself).

However, if there is a significant performance impact, this points to
a problem that should get fixed, so a report with an example would be
welcome.