[AUCTeX] Please add support for caption's optional argument

From: frank
Subject: [AUCTeX] Please add support for caption's optional argument
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 14:04:05 +0200

Hi everybody,

I'm back again somehow to the free software community, but I won't have
time to read the auctex list in the near future.  However, I'll start
again to bomb you with bug reports and feature requests.  Additionally,
I'd be oblidged if somebody keeps me informed about the progress in
merging AUCTeX and preview-latex, because I think that quite some
discussion might be needed within Debian for this (e.g. regarding XEmacs
support), and I offer to take part in this.

So here comes the first feature request:

Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.

When I insert a figure environment, AUCTeX asks me for a caption text.
However, I usually have very long captions, which I don't want to type
into the minibuffer, and I use a short version in the optional argument
to \caption.

I would suggest to add a toggle that allows to switch from the current
behavior (appropriate for short captions) to either of the following
two:

- Ask for some text for the short-form of the caption, insert this text
  as \caption's optional argument, and put point between the empty
  braces of the mandatory argument

- Like above, but copy the short text into the mandatory argument for
  further editing and add TeX-default-caption-separator after the text,
  which defaults to nothing, but could usefully be redefined by the user
  to ": " or the like (point at the end of the inserted text).

Maybe this toggle could be actually two different ones: One for figure,
one for table, because I don't use long table captions most of the time.

Regards, Frank

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 21.4.1 (i386-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2005-03-17 on trouble, modified by Debian
Package: AUCTeX 11.55

current state:
==============
(setq
 window-system 'x
 LaTeX-version "2e"
 TeX-style-path '("style/" "auto/" "/home/frank/texmf/tex/latex/style/"
"/home/frank/texmf/tex/latex/auto/"
                  "/usr/share/emacs21/site-lisp/auctex/style/"
"/var/lib/auctex/emacs21/" "/home/frank/.auctex-styles/"
                  "/home/frank/.auctex-styles/" "/home/frank/.auctex-styles/"
"/home/frank/.auctex-styles/"
                  "/home/frank/.auctex-styles/" "/home/frank/.auctex-styles/"
"/home/frank/.auctex-styles/"
                  "/home/frank/.auctex-styles/")
 TeX-auto-save t
 TeX-parse-self t