Re: [AUCTeX] (setq TeX-auto-save t) really necessary?

From: Uwe Siart
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] (setq TeX-auto-save t) really necessary?
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 16:52:55 +0200

On 9 May 2005 at 16:33, Ralf Angeli wrote:

> If you open a slave file, AUCTeX will neither open the master file and
> parse it, nor will it open other slave files because it does not now
> about them.  It relies on such information to be stored in the `auto'
> subdirectory.  By not enabling `TeX-auto-save', you are effectively
> dumping the advantages of parsing in multi-file documents.

But what if I include

%%% Local Variables:
%%% TeX-master: "masterfile.tex"
%%% End:

in all slave files instead? Doesn't AUCTeX know about the full document
structure then?

I ask because I work this way each day - and RefTeX does a quite good
job in parsing the whole document. It produces the toc, shows all
labels, and so on. So I thought, AUCTeX will do this as well, doesn't
it?

--
Uwe