Re: [AUCTeX] interactive compile

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] interactive compile
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 09:48:13 +0200

* Shug Boabby (2005-04-12) writes:

> i remember auctex used to tell me if the buffer did not compile
> correctly... now i must C-c C-l to check status.

Does following the advice in the FAQ entry "Why doesn't AUCTeX signal
when processing a document is done?" in AUCTeX's manual help?

> setting the
> interactive mode pops up the compile buffer... but the buffer does not
> auto-scroll! i must page down to see how all is proceeding.

Hm, that's not good; especially when interactive mode expects input
due to an error.  As you did not supply any information about your
installation (information which is generated automatically if you use
`M-x TeX-submit-bug-report RET' or the respective menu entry for bug
reporting) I cannot give some definitive advice here.

> the best setup for me would be seeing the compile output (so i don't
> miss warnings), but disappearing on success. on fail, the compile
> buffer should remain, and my cursor be placed near the failing part. is
> that possible? my C code setup allows for this and it is nice.

Okay, the following is rather technical: The output buffer uses
`comint-mode' which provides facilities to do that.  We could either
let-bind comint variables which do this in `TeX-run-interactive' or
even set them buffer-locally during mode initialization.  I had
positive results with let-binding `comint-move-point-to-output' in CVS
Emacs and `comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-input' in Emacs 21.4 where the
former variable does not exist.  Is anybody familiar with this stuff
and knows the right thing to do?