Re: [AUCTeX-devel] permission for using auctex code in wikipedia-mode.el

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] permission for using auctex code in wikipedia-mode.el
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:01:34 +0100

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks, right, given the complicated `status' of the authors, I
> preferred not to specify the term `you' too much.
>
> I also thought that asking for permission would be a gesture of
> politeness, that's why I did it.
>
> And of course my enhancement of wikipedia-mode.el would be released
> under the GPL.

The GPL states

    2b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
    whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any
    part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third
    parties under the terms of this License.

This would concern the whole of wikipedia-mode.el including your
enhancements.  That's the work "in whole".  If the rest of
wikipedia-mode.el is not releasable under the GPL (by whoever), then
forming a combined work is not legally feasible under the GPL.