Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Plea for help - anomalous AUCTeX behavior

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Plea for help - anomalous AUCTeX behavior
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 12:38:48 +0100

* Robert Knighten (2005-11-11) writes:

> I am presently writing a mathematics book using AUCTeX.  Recently, probably
> after upgrading to AUCTeX version 11.81 on Emacs version 21.4.1, I have the
> problem that Emacs will suddenly and for very prolonged periods of time become
> nearly unusable because of lack of response.

What version of AUCTeX did you have before?  The mechanism I am
suspecting to be the culprit has been in place for various AUCTeX
releases now.

Anyway, does it help to customize `font-latex-do-multi-line' and
disable it (or use the font-latex-specific multi-line option)?

I am very interested in an example where this kind of slow-down can be
observed.  We've had several reports but until now nobody sent a
concrete example which could be used for debugging.  I am suspecting
multi-line font locking to be the problem but it could also be with
the determination of math environment boundaries.  So an example file
would help very much.  If you are not able to distill a minimal
example or the document where this occurs should not be posted in
public, you can also send it to me in private mail.

> Here is what I have in my .emacs to get
> AUCTeX working:
> (require `tex-site)  ;; so aucTex will work

This is not good.  Firstly you are already activating AUCTeX with the
following statement, so this is superfluous, and secondly you are
using a backtick (`) instead of a quoting character (').

> (load "auctex.el" nil t t)
> (setq TeX-auto-save t)
> (setq TeX-parse-self t)
> (setq-default TeX-master 'nil)