Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Ok, I am too stupid to make this work.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Ok, I am too stupid to make this work.
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 17:33:19 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> * David Kastrup (2005-07-02) writes:
>>
>>> a) a macrocode environment has its begin/end lines _always_
>>> outcommented by single comment characters, regardless of where one
>>> calls C-c C-e.
>>
>> Theoretically there could be environments called `macrocode' in
>> "regular" LaTeX as well, right?
>
> None of our business.  The only "macrocode" environment defined in the
> whole texmf tree AFAIK is the one in doc.sty, and that requires to be
> ended by
>
> %    \end{macrocode}
>
> It is in theory somewhat possible to _start_ it in a percentless line
> with just \begin{macrocode} and an arbitrary indentation, but people
> that want to do this sort of unmatched delimiters for whatever weird
> reason don't need to expect special support from AUCTeX for it.
> AUCTeX should cater for existing rather than imaginary usage cases.
>
> And it _is_ an existing usage to just mark out some existing code
> passage in the middle of straight uncommented code without percent
> signs with an active region and use C-c C-e macrocode RET on it.

Apropos: probably even more nice inside of uncommented code would be
to insert

%    \end{macrocode}
%  <point at sensible indentation>
%    \begin{macrocode}

In short: it would also be nice to have a way to _split_ a macrocode
environment.  C-u - C-c C-e macrocode RET perhaps?  Or C-c C-z
("suspend" environment) without prompting, just using the current
environment?  In that case one would probably have to enter at least
the comment character manually so that the outcommented environment
gets suspended instead of the uncommented one.