Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Two odd features with "new" installation procedur

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Two odd features with "new" installation procedure
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 14:00:39 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2005-05-24) writes:
>
>> By the way: does anyone object if I replace the initial #!/bin/sh
>> line in install-sh and mkinstalldirs with just : ?  The scripts get
>> called from the Makefile (which requires a Bourne shell) anyway,
>> and there is so much that can go wrong with #!/bin/sh...  Like
>> there being no executable /bin/sh, or there being no executable
>> /bin/sh^M, or a number of different things.
>
> Have we had problems with this?

I suspect that the failures to execute mkinstalldirs on MacOSX might
be related to that.

> I briefly followed the discussion about line endings emacs-devel and
> must say that I find it ridiculous that line endings can be replaced
> during a CVS checkout.

text is text, binary is binary.

> I mean, that's a problem of the CVS client, right?

More like a problem with DOS in general.

Well, in this case it turns out to be a problem with Perl.  The
documentation I have been finding on the web suggests that it converts
non-binary opened files into \n when reading and writing.

The bug reports don't suggest that.  If we get the Perl script to
output consistent results regardless of the input, I think we ought to
be able to get away without warning about any end-of-line conversion
problems.  I don't think we have any binary files in our distribution
at the moment (the icon image files are all text).