Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Toolbar button for TeX-command-master

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Toolbar button for TeX-command-master
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 13:28:45 +0200

* David Kastrup (2005-05-22) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> In case somebody wants to have a toolbar button for
>> `TeX-command-master', you can check out the attached patch.
>>
>> The button does not update the displayed image.  You will always see
>> the cog wheels.
>
> I think at least the tooltip should mention what the button does,

Hm, the functions for computing help strings specified in
`TeX-bar-LaTeX-button-alist' will get evaluated only when the toolbar
is being built.  It would be quite easy to get dynamic tooltips if the
functions were copied verbatim.  This seems to work although the
documentation only says this:

,----[ (info "(elisp)Tool Bar") ]
|    The `:help' property specifies a "help-echo" string to display while
| the mouse is on that item.  This is displayed in the same way as
| `help-echo' text properties (*note Help display::).
`----

The strange part about this is that the function for calculating the
help string is called with three arguments.  Don't ask me what those
are.  Oh, and I don't know if all that would be possible in XEmacs.

Also, there will have to be some more changes.  Because when testing
this I got a question if I want to save the document when hovering
over the button.

> and it might make sense to compute the button's action on
> mouse-over, too, and then change the image to the specific one while
> mouse-over is active.
>
> This is still a hack, but you'd at least know what the button does
> before pressing it.  And I think that is essential.

I don't know if I want to implement that with the current state of
tool chain handling.  We will have to implement a way to associate
images with the strings in `TeX-command-list' like "LaTeX" or "View".
A simple alist would probably do.

What I'd _like_ to have is a configurable list of commands where you
can specify the image to be used in the toolbar for each command.

> What could be useful to have (maybe) is a button like
> run-TeX-command-master-until-failure-or-success-and-start-viewer-if-success.

Again, that's a matter of the tool chain.  Probably it could be
implemented with what we have now (e.g. by looking at the value of the
function `TeX-command-next' introduced in the patch), but it might be
ugly.

> Of course, having the cog wheels actually turn (timer-set-function?)
> while the compilation is in progress would be...
>
> Seems like I am in get-offered-a-finger-bite-off-an-arm mode.

Nothing wrong with that.  I am free to ignore it. (c;

--
Ralf