[AUCTeX-devel] Re: patch for auctex/doc/wininstall.texi

From: Christian Schlauer
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: patch for auctex/doc/wininstall.texi
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 20:03:40 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Christian Schlauer <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> In the Emacs info reader, there were four whitespaces between a
>> sentence end and the next sentence in the Windows-installation
>> section (I was a bit surprised by that, I assumed that `makeinfo'
>> would reformat the .texi file when creating the .info file).
>
> It should if it is not a really old version...  What version is it?

It's Reiner's version, as I used one of his snapshots, so I never ran
my makeinfo.

[...]

> Christian, I am currently rewriting the sections significantly, and to
> avoid a larger conflict, I'd prefer if your patch was not checked in.
> Could you summarize what is necessary to get its behavior and why?
> What version of makeinfo do you have?  Since only developers are
> required to run makeinfo (the tarball has everything pregenerated), I
> tend not to be too worried about accommodating older makeinfo
> versions.  If we can do it without too much trouble, fine.

Don't worry about makeinfo then. Besides the unnecessary whitespace
changes (as makeinfo takes care of that), my patch had only the
following, still useful changes (I think you can merge them manually,
it is not much):

1. The following paragraph is rephrased from line 2 onwards:

 The installation of @AUCTeX{} will require the MSYS tool set from
address@hidden://www.mingw.org}. If you have the Cygwin tool set from
address@hidden://cygwin.com} installed, that should do just fine as well,
-but it is quite larger and slower.
address@hidden://www.mingw.org} or the Cygwin tool set from
address@hidden://cygwin.com}.  The latter is larger (the download size of
+the base system is about 15 MB) but comes with a package manager that
+allows for updating the tool set and installing additional packages
+like, for example, the spell checker @w{aspell}.

2. Change `/cygwin/c' to `/cygdrive/c'. There is only one occurrence:

-names like @file{/cygwin/c}.  Instead, use the @file{c:} syntax.  It
+names like @file{/cygdrive/c}.  Instead, use the @file{c:} syntax.  It

3. Remove the leading whitespace in the following line as it leads to
   additional indentation in the Emacs info reader (I checked this
   right now with the 11.55 tar-ball, so the makeinfo that you used
   doesn't strip leading whitespace):

-  @kbd{M-x customize-group @key{RET} AUCTeX @key{RET}}
address@hidden customize-group @key{RET} AUCTeX @key{RET}}

--