Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Key bindings for TeX-next-error

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Key bindings for TeX-next-error
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 12:03:38 +0200

* David Kastrup (2005-04-22) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> As `C-c `' really is a pain in the, uh, fingers I finally want to get
>> a decision on and implementation of a better key binding for
>> `TeX-next-error'.
>>
>> In recent CVS Emacs the bindings `M-g M-n' and `M-g n' were
>> introduced for `next-error' besides the traditional `C-x `'.
>
> Not that I know of.  It was one of the main rationales for making M-g
> M-g do goto-line, but the bindings have not yet been introduced
> themselves.

Well, why am I able to use them already?  From bindings.el (1.145):

(define-key esc-map "gn" 'next-error)
(define-key esc-map "g\M-n" 'next-error)
(define-key ctl-x-map "`" 'next-error)

>> I'd be fine if we simply took the bindings for `next-error' and use
>> them for `TeX-next-error'.  This could be done with something like
>>
>>     (if (featurep 'xemacs)
>>      (substitute-key-definition 'next-error 'TeX-next-error map global-map)
>>       (define-key map [remap next-error] 'TeX-next-error))
>
> Just set next-error-function on Emacs 22.

Hm, I'll have to check how something like this can be done in Emacs 21
and XEmacs.

> However, I think it would
> make more sense if we tried interfacing to
> compilation-parse-errors-function in the long run.

I just looked into compile.el for that and it seems that this is only
there for compatibility reasons.  Again, I'd need to have a more
thorough look to understand what is involved here.

> I would not want
> to hold up releasing 11.80 for that, though, as it seems a pretty
> invasive change.

If only key bindings are changed it is not very invasive.

> I am not yet sure about the best choice.  C-c ! seems somewhat
> natural, but it assumes that people are familiar with TeX error
> messages.  And AUCTeX helps you not getting too familiar with TeX.

First, we currently have a button for jumping to the next error which
holds an exclamation mark.  (Of course, this might change.)  Second,
an exclamation mark is connotated with attention which is something an
error should really get. (c;

--
Ralf