[AUCTeX-devel] Replacing icondir...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Replacing icondir...
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 22:48:37 +0200

Hi, we have more than just the icons that are candidates for placing
somewhere separately.  Namely

a) icons
b) TeX style files to be made part of TEXINPUTS (this one is new)
c) Lisp style files from the styles directory

I guess it does not make too much sense to have separate configure
options for all those.  I propose that we just have some

--with-packagedatadir=whatever

option, and the icons get into the subdirectory "images" from there,
and the TeX style files into the subdirectory "latex", and the lisp
style files into the subdirectory "styles" and so on.  packagedatadir
gets a .nosearch placed into it upon installation, just in case it is
in some hierarchy recursively sucked into load-path (note that
tex-site.el and/or preview-latex.el explicitly add the packagelispdir
into the load-path, so if packagedatadir and packagelispdir happen to
be the same, this is not a problem).

Does this sound sensible?  It better do.  It should enable us to make
one coherent installation with AUCTeX and/or preview-latex and/or
XEmacs package systems and/or prebundled Emacses and whatever.