Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Insertion of leading new line with C-c C-s

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Insertion of leading new line with C-c C-s
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 15:36:48 +0200

* Christian Schlauer (2005-04-03) writes:

> [This is a follow-up to a thread from last december, see
> <URL:http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.auc-tex/5093>]
[...]
> I attach a patch that does the right thing: it inserts a new line only
> if the previous line is not empty or does not start with `[possible
> whitespace]\begin'. The latter is to avoid things like
>
> \begin{some-environment}
>
>   \section{blah}
>
> where a blank line between the beginning of the environment and the
> section is not wanted.

Why isn't it wanted in this case?

> I couldn't use `skip-chars-backward' as suggested by Ralf because that
> didn't work when the section is already indented, for example when the
> section is within a `multicols' environment. Try to insert sections in
> the following document, and you will see that the code `does the right
> thing':

The code fails to insert a newline in the following case:

text text text

text text text-!-

Here is a version using `skip-chars-backward' which dos not fail:

  (unless (and (eq (save-excursion
                     (skip-chars-backward " \t\n\f" (line-end-position -1))
                     (point))
                   (line-end-position -1))
               (save-excursion
                 (re-search-backward
                  (concat "^\\s-*" (regexp-quote TeX-esc) "begin")
                  (line-beginning-position 0) t)))
    (LaTeX-newline))

> (There is one case where the code does not do the right thing: when
> point is placed behind \begin{some-environment}-!-. But point will
> never be there when people use `C-c C-e' and `C-c C-s', so I think
> this case can be ignored.)

This could probably fixed as well but I am not sure if we should cater
for this special case at all.

--
Ralf