association

Charter for GNU Herds (draft)

From: Jay Hammond
Subject: Charter for GNU Herds (draft)
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 01:39:58 +0100

Greetings,
I was directed to your site by a signature, probably of a member of
yours.

I'm involved with UKTUG, a local user group for TeX. (early freeware,

as you may know) We're considering our constitution, and I've learned

that I don't stumble over things the way I do when I first read them.

So before I lose the insights, here are a couple of comments you may
want to consider, and two  things  you may
wish to change in _your draft charter which I have just read.

Two preliminary comments; the register (style of prose) in your draft
charter fluctuates
between very formal, almost legalese and more informal. It's hard to
avoid when there are many contributors.

There is evidence that capitalisation is inconsistent. So much so,
that I can't easily guess when there should be capitals and when not.
In a legal document, a word with an initial capital is expected to
have a special meaning compared to the lower-case version.  Such
documents often have an early  clause spelling out  special meanings.

Otherwise they are introduced on first use.

The other two points are easier to fix.
They can each be found at a particular place in the text, so I can
quote to get you there.

Charter for GNU Herds (draft)
[...]
Committee

[...]

An Office term will be 4 years. All committee positions are
voluntary, an officer may step down at any time. After 6 months if
the membership is dissatisfied with an officer they may vote her or
his out of office.

I suggest this read ... "vote her or him out of office."

Voting

[...]

Guidelines:

    * Do not vote on technical subjects. Just discuss it to get the
best technical solution. Only if the time needed to discuss it is too

long should there be a vote.
JH:
"Only if..." can be confusing to read (see note 1 below) I suggest
(minimal change) "...to discuss it is too long..." become "... for
discussion is too long..."

You may prefer a more direct guideline instead:

"You may use a vote to stop technical discussion taking too long. "

This makes a nice bridge between the technical and non-technical
voting advice. It seems to be an exception to 'Do not vote on
technical subjects.' but it's really saying "vote on non-technical
issues" (like 'we don't have time or energy to pursue this further')

note 1
technically, the sentence starts off with several possible  parse
paths and may need a re-parse if the reader guesses to follow the
wrong one; I'll use parens to suggest the differences in the parses

Only if (the time needed to discuss)NP (it)NP (is too long)VP (should

there be a vote)VP.
Only if (the time needed to discuss it)NP     (is too long)VP (should

there be a vote)VP.

parse 1 isn't going to work, but because "it is too long" is such a
frequently occurring combination, readers are tempted to process that

as a chunk and pick the wrong path. Ok, I know  skilled readers will
back up when it won't work, but it's good style not to misdirect
readers like this.

JH:(ends)

best wishes with your group.

Jay Hammond