aspell-user

Re: [Aspell-user] Adding hyphenated words to private dictionaries

From: Gary Setter
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Adding hyphenated words to private dictionaries
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 20:58:14 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Art Smoot" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 9:29 AM
Subject: [Aspell-user] Adding hyphenated words to private
dictionaries

> I've got an application where I'm successfully using Aspell via
the
> perl module Text::Aspell.   It is used checking search terms
into
> a large legal database.  I've successfully added a large
collection of
> additional legal terms to a private dictionary and it's working
very
> well.
>
> My problem is that I have a set of legal terms with hyphens in
them, e.g.
> non-binding, non-disclosure, co-counsel, s-corporation, that I
want
> to also add to this private dictionary. Using Aspell 0.60.2 I
get:

> aspell --lang=en create master aspell.dictionary <
aspell-new-words
> Warning: The word "s-corporation" is invalid. The character '-'
(U+2D) may not
> appear in the middle of a word. Skipping word.
> Warning: The word "pro-temp" is invalid. The character '-'
(U+2D) may not
> appear in the middle of a word. Skipping word.
> Segmentation fault
>
> I'm guessing I'm missing something and perhaps I didn't
understand
> something in the documentation.   Can anyone suggest what I'm
doing
> wrong?

--- Reply ----
Hi Art,
I'm no expert on Aspell or English. It seems that Aspell only
expects to use hyphens to join words. If you put non and binding
in one of your dictionaries then non-binding will be accepted.
That is what I would do if I were in your place.
That said, you could make a case for Aspell being wrong and in
need of correction. Doing a google search for words you gave, it
is clear that the hyphenated word is perfered.
You can submit a bug report from the Aspell Sourceforge project
page.

Best regards,
Gary Setter