aspell-devel

Re: [aspell-devel] Suggestion in Debian#900163: UTF-8 encoded personal w

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] Suggestion in Debian#900163: UTF-8 encoded personal word and replace files
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 15:10:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018, Agustin Martin wrote:

https://bugs.debian.org/900163

 The user personal word and replace files stored under
 ~/.aspell.LL.prepl and ~/.aspell.LL.pws are encoded in what I presume
 to be the locale legacy encoding? For example for the Catalan (ca),
 Spanish (es) and English (en) personal files I've got locally, they
 are encoded in ISO-8859.

 It would be really nice if the contents could be stored encoded in
 UTF-8 instead.

You can. The default is specified in the language specification file. You can use an alternative encoding on the file if you specify UTF-8 in the header line, see http://aspell.net/man-html/Format-of-the-Personal-and-Replacement-Dictionaries.html for the format. Aspell should honer this encoding when modifying the file.

Kevin