adonthell-general

Re: [Adonthell-general] Adonthell 0.3.6 beta

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Adonthell 0.3.6 beta
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 22:02:02 +0200

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 9:35 PM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

> Will have to run some tests these days, and upload some screenshots for comparison. I also looked
> further through the Google listing and unearthed
>
> https://fonts.google.colistingm/specimen/Aclonica and
> https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Berkshire+Swash
>
> One if under the Open Font License, the other under Apache 2.0, which also should be fine with Debian,
> according to https://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses#The_Apache_Software_License_.28ASL.29
> Both are closer to the original than any others that were proposed before, including Cardo.

In the end, I decided for Aclonica, as I think it is truest to the previous and also quite readable. I have uploaded updated source and binary packages too, with bugfixes.

Joe, if you could try and see if the flickering is gone, that would be great. Just note that based on feedback from the Debian package maintainer, it will start up in window mode by default, so you may have to switch to letterbox in order to check. Though in your case, it should pick up the configuration that is already in place and start in the same mode as the previous version.

Source package
  http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/adonthell/adonthell-0.3.6-src-beta2.tar.gz
  http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/adonthell/wastesedge-0.3.6-src-beta2.tar.gz

OSX binary (64bit, 10.6 and up)
  http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/adonthell/adonthell-0.3.6-osx-beta2.dmg

Windows installer (64bit)
  http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/adonthell/adonthell-0.3.6-win64-beta3.msi

In case your download mirror is not yet in sync, get the packages directly from
  http://download-mirror.savannah.gnu.org/releases/adonthell/

Now, barring any other major or minor issues, I really only need to finish documentation, wait on translation updates and then package up for final release. But first of all, I'll move the code over to git, now that there shouldn't be many changes required.

Anyway, please test, and report back what you find. Especially curious about multi-monitor setups and video mode switching. If somebody has a Mac with Retina display, checking if that is properly supported would also be nice.

Kai