adonthell-general

[Adonthell-general] Adonthell website is back

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-general] Adonthell website is back
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 21:18:03 +0100

Hi everyone!

for reasons unknown, the admins at linuxgames.com decided to throw out
all outdated sites hosted on their server. One of the victims was the
Adonthell website, which only received an update or two for the last
few years.

This week I finally found the time and have moved the site to another
location. I basically had the choice between Savannah and Berlios, and
since Berlios nearly went out of service end of last year, and since
the Wiki eats up quite a bit of our quota there, I picked Savannah. So
the new URL is

  http://adonthell.nongnu.org

Savannah is not quite free of it's own problems, though. For one they
do not seem to really support SSI. They work (for the moment) as long
as the pages end in .shtml, but index.shtml is not recognized as
DirectoryIndex. Therefore I had to add a small page that redirects to
index.shtml at the root and explicitly link to the index.shtml in the
sub directories. Not the best solution, but for now it should suffice.

On the bright side, Savannah uses a CVS repository to manage the website:

  http://web.cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/adonthell/?root=adonthell

That means any project member can help keeping the website up-to-date now :-).

As for the content of the website itself. I basically threw out
everything that was not directly accessible via the navigation bar.
The main page is completely rewritten and hopefully gives a better
idea what all this is about. The download page is also much
streamlined and mostly gives just access to the files without much
explanation. For that we have the README and other documentation that
comes with the download.

Please let me know if you find any issues, or if you want to help
further improve the content, design or code. I will now begin the
tedious work of updating all the various links that still point to
linuxgames.com, at least as far as I am able to.

Kai

P.S: All the deleted stuff is still preserved at the previous website
repository:

  http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/website/?root=adonthell

Quite some gems in there, like the news archive from the first year of
development -- feel free to dig around :-).