adonthell-general

Re: [Adonthell-general] Getting contributors (was Re: Kudos on [Adonthel

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Getting contributors (was Re: Kudos on [Adonthell-Devel])
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 16:26:26 +0100

On Jan 16, 2008 8:42 AM, Alexandre Courbot <address@hidden> wrote:

> I don't think the age of the project is a problem, as long as it looks
> active. 15 developers registered, however, is clearly wrong. I suggest
> to simply remove those that are not active (errr... don't remove me,
> though ;)). If they manifest again later, we can still add them again.

I will look into that. Probably in a first step send out an email to
everyone who hasn't made considerable contributions and then remove
them unless a positive reply comes back.

> I don't know exactly *where* we should look for them (maybe we should
> get "hype" and advertize on facebook or shit) , but I think the
> project has nice properties we should put in evidence:
> - Sucessfully released a full game already,
> - Has some old guys who have been there for more than 10 years (thus
> newcomers would get directions from more experienced coders)
> - Basically free to leave your touch to the game

My idea was to put up some sort of text box on prominent Wiki pages
and our website. Something that sticks out, but doesn't contain more
than a few lines of text. It could include the request for help and
these simple facts with links to more info.

I'd also like to include a picture reminding of the well-known
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/14573-POD/1099858~I-Want-You-for-the-U-S-Army-c-1917-Posters.jpgs
but with the face of a Waste's Edge character (like Jelom):
http://cvs.savannah.nongnu.org/viewvc/wastesedge/gfx/portraits/?root=adonthell
Barring a willing artist, it'll be a plain text box for the beginning.

> Of course, a couple of hot babes would probably be better than
> anything, but we have to do with what we have.

Well, the main character of the next demo will be a hot babe, isn't she? ;-)

> Maybe, part of the answer can be obtained by asking: how do other
> similar projects that are more active than us?

They probably do more aggressive "marketing" than we do. They might
also release more often, leading to more exposure. But that seems to
be the typical hen and egg problem :-). However, we do have both 0.3.5
and 0.4 alpha 2 upcoming (take of give a couple months), so we should
prepare for that and make the best of it. Having a functional website
(working galleries) might be part of that too.

> Also, since our target is not what people may expect from a game today
> (I mean, 2D and everything...), maybe that makes it less attractive.

Maybe ... it should still be more attractive than the nth tetris clone.

> I'm pretty sure about the activity of the LGT (I haven't been there
> for ages), but it looks more like a place for gamers than developers
> to me.

Given that Linux still attracts mostly technical inclined people, I
would assume that a good percentage of the audience would be able to
help. And at least a few projects really lept forward due to GoTM,
from what I've seen.

> As for SoC... It's probably worth it, and would be a boost if
> we succeed (or at least we will have some exposure). Don't know what
> are our chances however.

I haven't really looked a lot at the rules and requirements yet, but
if a project like ScummVM has participated with success, we might be
able to do the same.

Kai