Re: [Adonthell-devel] User interface open items

From: StyxD
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] User interface open items
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 19:10:23 +0100

Ok, my previous assessment "I have time now" turned out, in hindsight,
pretty premature.

I did make a little progress, but it seems that because of all this
object ownership stuff in swig (of which I learned thanks to you and
debugging instead of reading the manual first, but regardless) I'll
have to do it in a different way.

Basically, there'll be a python module that has a persisting event
factory that creates events for closing and moving text balloons.
It'll keep a list of currently displayed balloons too, just to avoid
messing with "thisown" once and for all. I originally intended
comments to be created as objects and then handling all the
displaying/event stuff inside, but it seems to be problematic.

Is that an OK design (persisting objects in a module, I mean)?

By the way, is there some way of passing arbitrary arguments to a
python function called from an event? There seems to be one method for
that, connect_callback from listener, but it requires full path to the
function in a file (I suppose it's used for all those map events) and
it seems impossible in event factory (where the python version of
register_event just converts the call to a c++ functor.).

I don't strictly need this, but it just seems weird to me.

Oh, and yeah, that Ctrl+D was what you described as an intended
behavior. I just assumed it's a bug because the application stopped
responding to input and wouldn't quit.

I hope I'll be able to get this done by the end of the next week.
Sorry for the delays.