[Adonthell-devel] SWIG 2.0.4

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] SWIG 2.0.4
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 22:32:36 +0100

Having some time to spare, I've been looking at some of our
dependencies to see what's new and noteworthy (Already committed some
small changes for the SDL 1.3 backend).

Anyway, happened across a new* feature in SWIG 2.0.4 advertised as

  "This is mainly a Python oriented release including support for Python
   built-in types for superior performance with the new -builtin option.
   The -builtin option is especially suitable for performance-critical
   libraries and applications that call wrapped methods repeatedly."

For the details see http://swig.org/Doc2.0/Python.html#Python_builtin_types

Could be something to try out for Adonthell, as we do call a lot of
wrapped methods from our scripts.
The downside is, this will require Python 2.5 and up to work for us.
Not much of a problem, except in some special cases.

* OSX 10.4 on my old iBook only has Python 2.4 (or was that 2.3?). OSX
10.5 and up has 2.5 though.
* My build environment for Windows also uses Python 2.4. (But that
also uses mingw gcc 3.2, so maybe I should set up something new
anyway!)

All in all, that's nothing to worry about and nothing that couldn't be
resolved with a few lines in configure.in/CMakelist.txt.

Anyone wants to try this out? I won't have the opportunity until next
week Monday or Tuesday, so feel free!

Kai

[*] SWIG 2.0.4 is available for over half a year now, so it's not
exactly new, just new to me :-)